Saturday, March 21, 2020

Fourth Sunday of Lent


Most of us would be aghast if someone was to take a mixture of dirt and saliva and rub it in our eyes; certainly in the light of the crisis we face to today.  But in the time of Jesus, saliva was considered a healing property and so in keeping with how often he used what the people understood, this would not have been surprising.

What I am attentive to though is the laying on of hands. This blind man is healed by touch.  Jesus could have spoken words or snapped his fingers (after all he is Jesus), but he chooses to touch. The Church in Her infinite Wisdom gives this to us as well.

  In each and every one of the Sacraments there is touch. Baptism, the first sacrament, oil is placed on the breast.  Eucharist is given to us physically through the Body and Blood of Our Lord.  Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, and Holy Orders again requires the touch of Holy oil. Marriage receives the touching and blessing of the rings. Pope Francis of Reconciliation (and I love this) says, “ I have been moved by the gesture in the tradition of Eastern churches, where the confessor welcomes the penitent by putting his stole over the penitent’s head and an arm around his shoulder; as if embracing him.  It is the physical representation of acceptance and mercy.”  In the West the priest extend his hands above the penitent, but how beautiful that image of being embraced in the most vulnerable posture. 


In each of these Sacraments that we receive, Our Lord’s heart overflows with love just as it did for the blind man. The eyes of our souls and hearts are opened.  We  have the joy of physical sight, but, also the gift of faith, spiritual sight; our own encounter with God.



4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Wanda! It's so nice to see you here! And welcome back to the Church!!!! I'll have to find your IG and scroll through to see what's been happening. I look forward to catching up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely surprise to see your blog title in my email! I did not know that your husband had been in an accident--that must have been awful for all of you. I look forward to reading about your faith journey--I find myself also experiencing my Catholicism differently; I think partially due to my age/stage of life ( retiring in July from 30 years at the same place) and partially because I have ' asked' to grow in my faith.
    Peace and blessings to you!

    Mary in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful! Maybe someday I can write all about it:)

      Delete