Saturday, May 9, 2020

Fifth Sunday of Easter


 Home is one of the first images that as children we learn to draw and it usually bears some reflection of what we think of ourselves and those we share it with. It is in this fourteenth chapter of John that Jesus begins what we have come to know as his “ farewell discourse”, leaving the twelve with reassurance by inviting them to believe and to trust in him and one day join him in his home.

  In John, there is no last supper scene, but the washing of the feet. Even so, it is good to recall that these twelve have had their last meal with Jesus.  It is night, dark, where fear picks this time to set in.  Jesus begins this address to them with those reassuring words; “ Do not let your hearts be troubled!” then gives an image of home, dwelling places, a place for each of us. They would know this image because the Temple itself is divided into many small rooms where God could be worshipped where he dwelt. 

Last summer while on retreat, my director assigned me this fourteenth chapter in John to memorize.  A rather daunting task I thought.  But as I walked the mountains, the hills and trails, these verses became part of me and a few stood out so strong that I still weep when I recite them.  The first being, “ And if I go to prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you may be also.”

I’ve pondered why those words above bring me to tears.  It is the word taken. The meaning that he is in control, not us, that we will never be left alone.  It is an intimate act to be taken. This God that wants relationship with us comes so close as to bring us (takes) into himself, enfold us. Then blessing; a hovering of hands over us  as the Spirit brings peace to chaos.  Next he enters into and recognizes our brokenness and restores and renews, mending us back together, before returning, giving, us back to the world to be this for others; the mission to be him for others.  And because we can be forgetful, he does not leave us with just a piece but with his entire self; the true presence of his body and blood. This is Eucharist. From his farewell, to reassure and be remembered, he gives the deepest part of himself to the deepest part of ourselves.

The destination is the Father’s house where there is always room.  But we only come at his bidding. Jesus reminds Thomas, we only arrive because we recognize he is the way, the truth, and the life. We can only come home through him.


Weeks after retreat I completed memorizing this chapter. I walk into our church home now and they flood back to me.  This dwelling place has been prepared for all of us, and as we come back he takes us once again into himself, so that where he is there we are also.



No comments:

Post a Comment