Sunday, July 26, 2020

Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time


 I have an affection for pearls.  I celebrated my twentieth birthday in Hong Kong with my parents and my mother’s desire, her “ treasure”, was a strand of Mikimoto pearls. We soon discovered that you don’t choose a strand from a case.  You select each pearl one by one and then watch as it is slipped onto a fine silk thread.  I knew these would eventually be mine so I was keenly engaged.  Eighty beautiful pearls. I wore the strand on my wedding day and eventually they passed to me. I wear them often and find myself fingering their smoothness much as I do the beads of my rosary.

In Matthew’s Gospel today Jesus speaks of the treasure in the field and the merchant finding the pearl of great price, using the emphasis of incomparable value as   characteristic of the Kingdom, the question of What is the treasure or pearl. But I believe the question here is Who is our treasure or pearl.

 This past week we celebrated the Feast of St. Mary Magdalene, the apostle to the apostles. In the first reading from the Song of Songs (3:1-4b) the bride seeks her “pearl”, whom her heart loves. At first she seeks but does not find, but she perseveres through the streets of the city even to the point of asking those who patrol the streets, “have you seen him whom my heart loves?” She will go the extreme to be in relationship with Him, a clear illustration of this gospel text…. not the What but the Who.   God is wooing her and us as His Beloved to be in the most intimate relationship. That is the most valuable treasure/pearl.

As of late I have come to see this strand of pearls as my own seeking through the city streets.  Each pearl a step toward that relationship “with the one whom my heart loves”.  As the ends come together and the clasp is fastened, there in that completion is the unity with the Beloved and the Lover, the finding of “ the pearl”.  Him whom my heart loves.





No comments:

Post a Comment