Sunday, April 21, 2013

WIWS #3 and the Garden

Linking up today for another issue of What I Wore Sunday with FLAP.

Just lovin me some red shoes again.  Don't you just feel like Dorothy when you put on red shoes?  You will most likely see me in these all summer.

 

Another outfit from my favorite Talbots at 60% off!  Except for the white shirt which I think is a thrift.  We have a great Junior Women's Club thrift store that has wonderful options.


I have to share the story about this pendant.  We live a pretty thrifty life.  No really fancy things and it has only been in the last few years since all the girls are out of college that Mr. Golfer and I have taken a vacation together and alone!

This pendant though was a gift filled with so much thought from my husband and emotion from me.  In 2004 my oldest daughter had an engagement called off 8 weeks prior to the wedding.  It was heart wrenching.  That same week my mother underwent colon cancer surgery and my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.  Needless to say, I was having a very difficult time holding it all together.  That Christmas my husband gave me this pendant.  Now, here is the story..... there are times when my husband will barter his fees for a service.  Someone really can't pay, but they have an item worth some considerable value.  Mr. Golfer will barter for it.  I have a full length mink coat acquired that way!  Anyway, this pendant had been taken as a barter 15 years prior to 2004 and had been in the safety deposit box unbeknownst to me.  He had been holding on to it just waiting for the right time. The appraiser had told my husband that this was made in the late 1800's and has......carats of diamonds.  It is stunning up close.  Mr. Golfer felt like with all the stress of what was happening in my life this was the time for it to be gifted. You cannot even imagine the tears, stunned emotion, and excitement all in one that Christmas morning..  I don't wear it often because the gold is a softer nature than what we have today.  But, I do wear it on special occasions like weddings and such.  Today just felt like a nice day to pull it out.
Don't think this is the norm around here.  It certainly is not.  But such a sweet story, one that our daughters will always remember.


The peonies are really opening up!  This lady is in full glory!


I have a rose bush for each of my married daughters that are the colors of the roses from their weddings,  My oldest daughter had orange roses and blue hydrangeas.  It was stunning.  Her roses in my garden have opened.


Remember that rose bush I was surprised with last week?  Look what opened up!

 


I had totally forgotten that I had tucked this little guy down in a corner last year.  The foliage above made me stop and look and then hiding under an iris leaf was this beautiful purple Clematis.  I don't know the name, but love that different purple.


The St Joseph lilies are now in full bloom everywhere in the yard.  This is just one corner next to the front walk and street.



Starting tomorrow, I will devote Monday's to "weekending" where the post just gives snapshots of how I spend my days without grandchildren ( although they are so much a part of my life it is hard to separate!)  I am going to see if I can learn to do a link up.  If you are out there, hopefully you will join me!


7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story! Brought tears to my eyes. Just goes to show that there is beauty even in the pain. Thanks for sharing!

    http://theworkingclassgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet story about the pendant. That is what real marital intimacy is all about - knowing the other person. Your flowers are beautiful, and your idea about posting the weekend activities is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing! I've only been reading your blog a few weeks but already see God's mercy and that you live a blessed, if busy, life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching and sweet story! It really made me smile.

    And I love your idea about the rose bushes! I will have to save that idea for when I have daughters :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such touching story, Wanda! And I love the sentiment behind your roses too. You look lovely in those bright colors for spring...and I would be wearing those red shoes all summer long too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree about red shoes! I still remember the first red shoes I bought - I definitely felt like Dorothy AND that nothing in this world could ever be as cool as those shoes. The memory of those shoes is so clear (and I owned them when I was a teenager over 45 years ago). Red cowboy boots are also a great confidence-builder!

    ReplyDelete