Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Yarn Along and a little gardening

" Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?"


Another wonderful opportunity to connect with Ginny at Small Things for letting us share with each other.

Last week the  Kudzu Shawl was blocking.  Here it is off the table.



I really love the way it drapes across the shoulders, but I think I will need a shawl pin for this one.  It has a tendency to blow off in a slight breeze.  All in all, I am very happy with it and think it will be great on our trips.

I am half way though adding a picot edge to the Babar Blanket for my new grandson due in September!  I experimented with several edgings but this fit best.


The pattern doesn't call for an additional embellishment, but I wanted to add a little color to the gray  since these are the nursery colors.  I knit 7 tows of stockinet, increasing with a Kfb twice around each corner every other row.  The 7th row was yo, k2tog all the way around.  Now I am decreasing with a K2tog twice at each corner on every other row to get back to the original stich count befor I knit the edging into the reverse side of the blanket.  Does that make sense?

As far as reading goes.... there was a blogger who posted a book last week titled The Summer of the Great Grandmother by Madeleine L'Engle.  After reading a review it sounded very enticing.  I found it on Amazon for $0.1!  I ordered it immediately and it arrived today!


I am through the first chapter and just loving it!  I think it reminds me much of my journey with my own mother in her last years.  Words that I could never express are conveyed here.  Thank you whomever you are for giving me this gift!
I also have picked back up the first volume of Call the Midwife.  I just Iove this BBC series.  I spent years as a Labor and Delivery nurse before having my children.  The series is well done.  I recommend it!

The early Spring blooms are withering down.




And the late Spring blooms are ramping up!

The Oak Leaf Hydrangea is budding.


The Easter Lilies are a little late.



Sunflowers growing tall.



What are reading and knitting this week?  I just love sharing!

16 comments:

  1. Your Kudzu Shawl is BEAU - TI - FUL! Looking forward to the finished Babar Blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shawl! I am reading the first of Madeleine L'Engle's journals, Circle of Quiet. Can't wait to finish and read the rest! Maybe I should order the summer of the great grandmother now, if it's only 1 cent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the shawl!!! Beautiful :) I want that book "call the midwife". Next time I'm at the bookstore I have to remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the shape of that kudzu shawl is wonderful, I hope you find a pretty pin to wear with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shawl is beautiful! I had no idea that Call the Midwife was a book. I will have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the shawl turned out just lovely!!!! (and love the border going on that blankie!!!!!) our flowers are just about at the same stage as yours.....but yours are looking like they are coming from a much tidier garden than mine!!! Oh, the hours ahead of me reclaiming the garden!!! Makes me cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gorgeous flowers. I love spring time. The shawl looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers, lovely shawl. Great deal on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous shawl! I *love* the color. Madeline L'engle is one of my favorite authors, but I haven't read that book. I'll have to see if my library has it.

    Your garden photos are beautiful. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shawl is fantastic, what an amazing pattern. Lovely to see your roses, ours haven't bloomed yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shawl is beautiful. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) It is such a wonderful book isn't it! :) Fun knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our peonies haven't started to bloom yet. I love it when they do! I'm also completely enchanted with Call the Midwife!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shawl is lovely. Call the Midwife is my favorite TV show, but I have yet to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Crosswicks journals and should go back and re-read them. My mom loves the Call the Midwife book and I have just started watching the show - it is amazing and I think I should pick up the book.

    Your shawl is just beautiful and I love the bright yellow against the gray of the blanket!

    ReplyDelete