Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Yarn Along

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

I am persevering on the blanket.  Now that I have completed enough rows to make it look like the beginning of something, I have more incentive to keep going.


This is not a cabled blanket although most think it is.  Just a nice mingling of knits and purls that give it that effect.

I took a quick trip down to Austin to see my daughter Caitlin. She knows my love for yarn shops and always lets me make time to play. Gauge Knits is a shop I had not been to and loved the way the yarn was shelved by....gauge!  My oldest daughter loves to knit socks and her favorite yarn is Hazel Knits. Surprise that hanging on the wall was a selection of this yarn.  After a quick phone call I walked away with this beauty for her. Zest.


And I walked away with this skein of local handspun for me....



And on my way out of town I stopped in Georgetown at Needle Arts of Georgetown.  There I found this beauty....


Merino and Nylon.  Hand painted.  Soft.  Wonderful.

For years now I have loved the writings of Grace Livingston Hill.  She penned back in the early part of the 1900's about domestic life.  Her books are hard to find.  There is a blog, Pleasant View Schoolhouse, that references these books though her other writing...Neat and Dainty as a Flower. I have loved reading the little blurbs about the various titles.
A good friend of mine has all the books by Grace Livingston Hill.  She inherited them from her mother.  I borrowed several over the weekend and am enjoying them immensely.


 
Some of the books are in poor condition and need to be handled carefully, but I am being inspired to
return to some of the older ways of housekeeping.  We shall see. 
 
 
Thank you Ginny at Small Things for the opportunity to share what we love to knit and read!




19 comments:

  1. i LOVE that pattern! (which one are you using??? I know I'll have a baby blanket to knit in the future.....might what to try this pattern!) It really looks like traveling stitches going on there....just knit and purls, huh???!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Lace Braid blanket from 60 Quick Baby Blankets.Very easy but very complicated looking. I am knitting with a bamboo yarn so it will be very soft!

      Delete
    2. What is the name of the pattern for the blanket in 60 Quick Baby Blankets?

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful blanket and beautiful yarns from your trip.
    I found you from steph and I'm so glad I did. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely! this blanket looks not only so soft but thick with a lot of wonderful warmth and the feel of something thick without being too much, if that makes sense.

    I remember seeing much of GLH books in the church library that I grew up going to back in MI... been thinking of you btw! Nice about the yarn shops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find some copies! Thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  4. The blanket is turning out nicely. I'm surprised it's not cabled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a skein of hazel knits and I treasure it! I haven't thought of THE project for it...yet! Now I have to go find out about those books :) Your blanket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blanket is lovely, beautiful pattern. The yarn you have bought is gorgeous hope you find some good projects for it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I have such a hard time getting to that "now what is this really" point where it starts to take shape. Keep it up! Don't be tempted by all that lovely yarn! Press onward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely effect in the blanket. Gorgeous new yarn to admire, delightful.
    Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking blanket. I always find it easier to keep working on a project once it starts to look like more than a tangled mess of yarn.

    ReplyDelete