Friday, July 4, 2014

4th of July Baked Beans ( or any other summer holiday)


If you have been around here for a while you will know that cooking is not my passion.  Eating is another story, but cooking....not so much.  Mr. Golfer did  that role when we were raising children.

But, there are a few recipes in my repertoire that are exceptional.  Holidays are my forte!  Today I want to share with you my Baked Beans.  I cannot remember where I found this or maybe I just created it ( not likely).  But they are delicious and you can really change this up and make it your own which is what I have done over the years.

Now if you are one of those cooks who like exact amounts, step away right now.  This recipe is not about measurements.  It is throwing in a little of this and that.

Begin with 3 kinds of beans. These are what I use and I do recommend that you use a baked bean and a white bean.  The third is up to you.




Mix all the beans in a 13 x 9 deep baking dish.


I then add a 1/2 of a purple onion ( or what you have on hand) diced. You could use any onion, but I like the color.




Then add the following:  all are estimates!
about 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs yellow mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 lengths of uncooked bacon sliced into 9 pieces.  Bacon bits don't give the taste so stay away.





Mix all the ingredients in except the bacon.  Lay it on top.


Cook at 400 degrees for an hour.  I can't show you mine finished because I won't cook it until later.  I like to prepare it and let the ingredients soak together prior to baking.  This is easily prepared a day or so ahead and kept in the refrigerator.

Happy 4th to all and I hope this becomes part of your traditions!  Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment